Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Day 5-Starting A New Habit

I am not going to lie and say that this whole blogging thing is easy. I caught myself many times today thinking about what I was going to blog about. Many of those times I was thinking about just blogging right then and there. Then, life took over. We started having students come in to check out books (a good thing of course), my ICT class came in, students from Mr. West's class came in to research, I began working on editing the video from the JH play, etc. I am sure you get the point that life took over. Next thing I know, it is time to go home! Once I was home my mom came over, Brock wanted to watch a movie, dinner needed to be made, dishes put away.  All of this needed to be complete before we went to church. 




Finally, at 9 o'clock at night I am ready to call it a night by reading my book. It was then that I remembered, "Oh yeah! I haven't done my blog tonight!" Since this is only day 5, this isn't a part of my "daily" routine. Lots of research out there says that it takes 14-21 days to form a habit. This is something I remind myself all the time when I am trying to form a new habit, but you don't realize how long that really is until you are on day 5! From being a former classroom teacher I remember having those students come in and tell me that they forgot all about an assignment until it was too late and their parents told them to go to bed because it was late. I guess you could say I had a similar moment tonight. The only difference is that my mom is not here telling me to go to bed. 




It takes 14-21 days to form a new habit. I am only on day 5, but I am going to make this a part of my daily routine. What is something that you want to make part of your daily routine? Maybe it is doing your homework before dinner, or writing your blog entry before you take a shower. Think about everything you do everyday and how you had to "FORM" that habit before it became part of your daily routine. What are ways YOU can form a new habit? 



2 comments:

  1. I agree on your life lesson my favorite things were the references to your lasts year's class ( hopefully not me! ) I love the quote at the end good luck with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember a time last year that you had a missing assignment. Hope your year is going great!

    ReplyDelete