Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day 19-Friendship is Key

Today I was able to spend the afternoon with one of my really good friends, Mrs. West. We have been friends for a little over three years. We had decided a couple of weeks ago that we were going to get together one day over spring break because it had been too long since we had a girls day. Today was that day!  We went to lunch at Freddy's and then headed to the mall for a tiny bit of retail therapy. 


Our friendship started when our husbands wanted to start a small bible study a couple of years ago. From there our friendship grew. Over the last couple of years our small group started going different directions based on what our lives were going through. We went from spending every Wednesday night together to talking on the phone every other day to trying to catch up at least once a month. As the years has gone on even that has been hard to do because life has been pulling all of us in different directions. Even though we don't get to talk as often as we like, we still have just as strong of a friendship as we did before. 

While enjoying our time to "catch up" I started realizing that it didn't feel any different talking with her.  It wasn't like there had been that much time since we had a "Girls Afternoon!" That is when I started thinking about what a true friendship looks like. It is what I have in Mrs. West. We may not get to talk and hang out all the time because we are busy, but that doesn't change our friendship. She is always just a phone call away when I need something. Whenever we hear about a Zumba class we are e-mailing each other to see if it is something we can do (we use to do Zumba together a couple times a week). That is when you know you have a true friend! When I was in school I use to think the more friends I had the better. Now that I am older I realize that I would rather have a couple really close friends then a lot of people I just talk to. A true friendship is one that no matter how much time passes nothing feels or seems different. Today we spent almost three hours at Freddy's just talking and catching up. I am pretty sure that the music they had playing started over while we were there. We saw the time and decided it was time to head to the mall of a little bit. We spent about four hours together today just hanging out. I wish life wasn't so crazy that we could do that more often, but I am so thankful to have a friend that nothing changes over time. People will come and go in your life, but true friends are always there! Thank you Mrs. West for being that friend to me! 


No comments:

Post a Comment