Thursday, March 13, 2014

Day 13: What's Your Song?

If you were to ever come into our home the TV is usually not on. Instead the radio is on all the time. When Brock sleeps at night, he has the radio playing. Music is something that is very important to me and plays an important part in telling my life story. Whenever I hear a certain song that really connects with me it takes me back to a special memory. I have always said that I feel like God talks to through certain songs. Yesterday morning during FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes), the JH FCA leaders had to pick a song that really captured their heart, play the song for the group, and explain what that song meant to them. I am not going to lie, but I was a little disappointed that Mr. Hulstine didn't include me in this activity. Now that I think about it, he probably didn't because we would still be there going through songs that really capture things in my life. Anyways, it was amazing to see some of our students explain what their song meant to them. 


Today as I was driving Brock to a doctor's appointment Phil Wickham's song  Safe came on the radio. This means a lot to Mr. Hulstine and I because it played on the radio as we were leaving the hospital with Brock for the first time as a family of three. I will never forgot that day. We were so excited to be going home, and then as we were loading the car it hit us that we were going to be going home with NO help and a new born baby. It was almost like God knew we needed a sign to drive the car away or we would be asking to stay for another night. Mr. Hulstine loaded us into the car, turned the engine on and immediately that song came on the radio. We both looked at each other and got the message. That night my parents came over to bring us dinner. It is time for them to leave and for us to have our first night as a family of three by ourselves. The same feelings that we had when we were in the car were starting to creep up again. I am not even kidding you, that song came on the radio again. With tears in our eyes we knew that we could do this. Music has a way of speaking to me just when I need to hear something. American Honey by Lady Antebellem is one of my FAVORITE songs! Whenever I hear that song I remember singing that song and dancing around the living room when Brock was a baby almost everyday for about eight weeks. 


I could go on and on listing songs that hold a special memory and place in my heart. Mr. Hulstine creates a playlist of songs at the beginning of football season each year. That playlist is the only thing he listens to during pre-games for that entire season. Whenever we are getting ready to leave for a family vacation, we make a playlist of songs to listen to on the road. This is just a tradition that we have had since Mr. Hulstine and I were dating. Music is apart of our everyday life. Even though we may not be the best of singers or the most talented musicians, music is a part of our family. I have been reminded of that over the last few days with the FCA students and my own experience today. Is there a song or list of songs that holds a special memory for you? I would love for you to share with me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment